Most people associate fat burning with females but males need to burn fat, too!
Scientifically, it’s much easier for a man to burn fat so they don’t get as much attention when it comes to ways to burn fat but believe it or not, there are certain things that men should be doing to keep their body fat percentage at a minimum. Some men have more fat than others but in general, the same fat burning exercises work for all men.
A lot of the best fat burning exercises for men are compound movements. Compound exercises are those that include more than one muscle group to perform the move. The opposite of compound exercises are isolation exercises which focus solely on one muscle. Compound exercises burn more calories and build more muscle mass. When it comes to burning fat, you want to incorporate more compound exercises into your routine. They will help you burn fat faster! Once you have burned enough fat, you can move onto isolation exercises to start cutting those muscles.
So what are some of the best fat burning exercises for men? Check out these 7 exercises to add to your next workout!
FAT BURNING EXERCISE #1: JUMP ROPE
Take your cardio routines back to first grade when jump roping was an actual fun activity rather than an exercise. Jumping rope is a great cardiovascular exercise. It also incorporates all major muscle groups in the body. It’s an awesome calorie burner, calf builder, and arm toner. It is also a ton of fun. Jumping rope can be done with an actual jump rope or you can just mimic the motion of the jump rope by jumping up and down, lifting your feet off the floor and swirling your wrists in the motion to work the arms. You can add jump ropes to your warm up, in between sets during a weight training workout, at the end of your workout, or strictly as your cardio circuit. Jump for as long as you want! Of course, the longer…the more calories burned…the more fat lost!
FAT BURNING EXERCISE #2: MEDICINE BALL SIT UP
Take your basic abdominal sit up exercise to the next level by adding some resistance. Medicine balls make a great training tool to add to your workouts. Medicine balls come in a ton of different weights so make sure you use one that is right for you.
To do a medicine ball sit up:
- lie on the floor with your knees bent and your feet flat.
- Grab the medicine ball and hold it to your chest with both of your hands.
- Extend your arms straight over your head, holding the ball.
- Perform a sit up.
- Squeeze your abs when you get to the top then lower your body back down in a slow and controlled motion.
- Perform the desired number of repetitions!
FAT BURNING EXERCISE #2: CLEAN AND PRESS
This exercise focuses on both your strength and your speed, both of which are required to skyrocket your fat burning potential. It works a ton of different muscles at once making for a great calorie burner and muscle shaper.
To perform a clean press:
- Place a barbell on the floor, loaded with the appropriate amount of weight.
- Don’t go too heavy, don’t go too light.
- Stand so the bar is in front of you with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Bend down and grab the bar with an overhand grip.
- Keep your chest and head up, thighs parallel to the floor.
- Contract your shoulder blades, look straight ahead, and in an explosive manner lift the bar off the floor to chest level.
- *This is the clean part!* Now press the weight over your head making sure you do not arch your back. You want the barbell to be inline with your ears.
- *This is the press part!* In a controlled motion, slowly lower the weight back down to the starting position and repeat.
FAT BURNING EXERCISE #4: MEDICINE BALL MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS
Another great move that utilizes the medicine ball. Mountain climbers are a full body exercise that act as cardio and also a great abdominal workout.
To do this move:
- Place a medicine ball on the floor.
- The weight of the ball doesn’t matter…you won’t be lifting it.
- Get into push up position resting both of your hands on the ball.
- Tuck one knee into your bed toward your chest.
- In an explosive manner, bring that leg back to the starting position and jump the other leg in toward your chest.
- Switch back and forth as fast as you can keeping your chest and back up.
FAT BURNING EXERCISE #5: PRISONER SQUAT
One of the most overlooked, best fat burning exercises for men is the squat. You don’t need to add a ton of weight or get on a smith machine to make the most of the squat. All you need is your own body weight. The prisoner squat is a great move and should be done in all fat burning workouts!
To do a prisoner squat:
- Stand tall with your feet hip width apart and your hands behind your head.
- Keeping your back straight and chest up, squat down until your butt is only a few inches off the floor.
- A regular body weight squat doesn’t require you to go that lower but the prisoner squat does.
- Get as low as you possible can.
- Rise back up and repeat.
FAT BURNING EXERCISE #6: HANGING LEG RAISE
A really great move to target all of your abdominal muscles. This move also improves your back strength and your grip strength.
To perform the hanging leg raise:
- Hang from a pull up with a neutral grip.
- Contract your abs and raise your knees up until they touch your chest.
- Do not allow your body to swing.
- Reverse the motion by bringing your legs back down to the starting position.
FAT BURNING EXERCISE #7: SPRINT
Another very overlooked move. Simple yet extremely effective! Sprint on the treadmill, at the track, on your street, or down a hall way…Anywhere you are, start sprinting!