2010 Personal Trainer of the Year Amer “The Hammer” Kamra speaks with dual FIT
- Age: 23
- Height: 6’0”
- Weight: 193lbs
- Bodyfat: 5%
To me exercise and training is not about the physical aspect as much as it is the mental. I enjoy challenges, setting goals, and working towards a goal. The feeling of conquering something is very satisfying.
What are your work out related goals for the future?
Maintain my current physique and just become denser. My goal is not to get much bigger, just harder, tighter, leaner, more detailed and of course stronger.
What is in your experience the most effective routine?
The most effective routine in my opinion is goal dependent. If my goal is currently to gain lean muscle mass, I will focus on hitting each bodypart 1-2x every 10 days and give it as much rest as possible to grow.
Lift at 75% of your 1RM for 10-12 repetitions working with a 3/0/2/0 tempo and resting between 45-60s for the majority of body parts with the exception of legs and back.
What is your current routine?
Monday: Circuit Training/Shoulders
- 20 Plyo Pushups
- 15 Dips
- 10 Pullups
- 12 Leg Raises
- (Repeat 5 times)
- Standing Military Press X 5 sets
- Seated Arnold Presses X 4 sets
- Front Barbell Raises X 4 sets
- Side Lateral Raises X 6 sets
- 100 Jump Squats
- Leg Extensions X 2 sets of 50 reps
- Barbell Squats X 6 sets
- Step Ups X 4 sets each leg
- 1 Legged Squats X 3 sets each leg
- Leg Extensions X 4 sets burnout
- 200 Pullups
- T-Bar Rows X 6 sets last 2 are drop sets
- Clean Pulls X 4 sets
- Deadlifts 135lbs for 40 reps X 3 sets
- Single Arm Dumbbell Rows X 4 sets
- Toe Press X 3 sets
- Standing Calf Raise X 100 reps each calf
- Calf Jump Stretch X 100 reps
- 200 Leg Raises
- 200 Cable Crunches
- 200 Broom Stick Twists
- 200 Hand-to-foot Touches
- 200 Second Plank
- Barbell Bicep Curls X 5 sets
- Bent Over Barbell Curls X 2 sets
- 100 Chin Ups
- Hammer Curls X 3 sets
- Tricep Pushups X 200
- Cable Pushdown (over hand grip) X 3 sets
- Cable Pushdown (under hand grip) X 3 sets
- Tricep Kickbacks X 4 sets
- 200 Wide Incline Pushups
- Dumbell Flys
- Barbell Press (flat) X 4 sets
- Dumbell Decline Press X 4 sets
- Cable Flyes X 3 sets (high pulley)
- Cable Flyes X 3 sets (low pulley)
- Swim, Bike or Hike
- Meal 1: Protein Pancakes (Egg Whites, Whey Protein, Gluten-Free Oats, Cinnamon)
- Meal 2: 6oz Lean Ground Turkey, 4oz Yams, Asparagus
- Meal 3: 30g Whey Protein, 2 Egg Whites, 1/2 cup Oats, 1/4 cup Blueberries
- Meal 4: 7oz COD, 2oz Yams, Asparagus
- Meal 5: 7.5oz COD, 1oz Yams, Baby Spinach
- Meal 6: 40g Casein Protein w/ 100g Cottage Cheese
- Omega-3 fish oil
- Whey Protein
- B Complex
What is one of your biggest train mistakes that you have made and how would you have done it differently?
The biggest mistake I made for years is not focusing on placing tension on the muscle I am working. I focused on lifting heavier and heavier, when in fact the key to growth is placing enough tension on the muscle to grow. Your muscle does not know how much weight you lift, it responds based on placing a load for a certain period of time (TUT-Time Under Tension)
What is your top tip for general fitness?
INTENSITY: It doesn’t matter what your goal is, train with intensity every single time, and never leave any stones unturned. Never leave the gym or dinner table feeling like you could have done more because you will always kick yourself in the ass for that if you do not reach your goal.